10 Hawaiian phrases to learn before you go
- Aloha – Hello. Pronounced a-lo-ha.
- Mahalo – Thank you. Pronounced mah-hah-loh.
- A hui hou – Until we meet again. Pronounced ah-hoo-wee-ho-oo-uu.
- Howzit? – How are you?
- Honu – Green sea turtle. Pronounced hoe-new.
- ‘Ono grinds – Delicious food. Pronounced oh-no grinds.
- Waina – Wine.
- A ‘o ia!
What does Mauka Makai mean?
Makai and Mauka
If you ask someone for directions in Kauai, you may hear them use the terms Makai or Mauka to indicate on which side of the road a place is located. Mauka means on the mountainside of the road, and Makai means on the ocean side of the road.